Parish History

King’s Sutton

King’s Sutton is a pretty town,
And lies all in a Valley.
There is a pretty ring of bells,
Besides a bowling alley.
Wine and liquor in good store,
Pretty maidens plenty.
Can a man desire more?
There ain’t such a town in twenty!

This is how a nursery rhyme published by Halliwell in 1760 described the village. Though many changes have taken place over the centuries it is as true today as it was over two hundred years ago.

King’s Sutton is the only village in the parish and has expanded over the years to include the hamlet of Astrop to the East. Other hamlets, such as Purston and Walton, have shrunk in size to little more than farms surrounded by a few houses.

The name is given as “Svdtone” in the Domesday Book of 1086 when most of the village was recorded as belonging to the King. It is, however, another two hundred years before the royal connection appears, with the names “Suttun Regis” in 1252 and “Kinges Sutton” in 1294. Sutton means “South Farm”, possibly with reference to Purston in the North of the parish, though there are other suggestions relating to the village’s location in the South of the county.

Archaeology

The earliest indications of settlements in the area were recorded by the early historians of Northamptonshire, Bridges (1791) and Baker (1822-30). Both write of the discovery of numerous Roman coins and a number of skeletons, particularly just to the North of Twyford Barn Farm where there was a Roman settlement. This was in an area still known as Blacklands because of the dark colour of the soil. A few years later, in 1840, four more skeletons were found.

In Lake Meadow, to the North of the railway station and just above the flood plain of the Cherwell, discoveries of even more Roman coins and a skeleton suggested another Roman settlement. These and other more recent finds were recorded by the Oxford Archaeological Society in reports dated 1910, 1911 & 1912 and also by the Northamptonshire Archaeological Society. The Oxford reports also described discoveries of Neolithic pottery and evidence of a third Roman settlement uncovered during ironstone mining near Buston Farm. During the mining, Tumuli known as the Two Lows were destroyed but nothing was recorded as having been found in them.

Communications were provided by a Roman road called the Portway. Although its route through the village cannot be traced, the line can be fbllowed from Aynho as far as Walton Grounds and it is assumed it then continued North towards Overthorpe. Another road from West to East crossed the Cherwell at Twyford.

 

Saint Rumbold

The Saxon legend of St Rumbold has been told and retold so many times that it is difficult to separate fact from fiction. In 1963 the historian Sir George Clark wrote:

“There are four medieval manuscripts of a certain collection of many lives of saints among which this life is found in its earliest form. The oldest of these four manuscripts was written out in the eleventh century and so nothing is known of St Rumbold’s life except what is to be found in the anonymous eleventh century manuscript.”

He was well aware that there was little substantial evidence.

A version of St. Rumbold’s life by Alfred Storey in Historical Legends of Northamptonshire (1883) gave a simple and not over embellished account:

“According to the old monkish legends the infant St Rumbald, or Rumboalde, as it is sometimes written, was the son of a daughter of Penda, King of the Mercians, and was born at King’s Sutton on the 1st of November, 662. The father, Rumbald, King of Northumberland, was a Pagan but was converted by the prayers of his wife before the marriage was consummated. Soon after the infant‘s birth the child spoke holy words and, after having professsed himself a Christian, was baptised. The baptism was carried out by Bishop Widerino, assisted by Eadwold, a priest, in water contained in a hollow stone lying in afield. Rurnbald lived only three days. He was buried at Sutton by Eadwold but was translated the following year to Brackley and the third year after his death to Buckingham. Here a shrine was erected for him in the church.”

John Leland, writing of his visit to King’s Sutton in about 1537, said:

“St. Rumoalde was borne in this Paroch. There was of late a Chappell dedicated to him standing about a mile from Sutton in the Medes (meadows), defaced and taken down.”

This stood in what was called the Chapel Field near the main farm house at Walton Grounds and on the site remnants of old foundations have been found.

St. Rumbold’s font was removed from King’s Sutton Church in Victorian times and is now apparently lost. It has been claimed that a stone found in the churchyard and incorporated in the present font is the original.

At the time of the Domesday Book (1086) the Shires were sub-divided into Hundreds. King’s Sutton Hundred was bounded in the East by the Cherwell and included Grimsbury and Middleton Cheney to the North and Aynho and Croughton to the South. The landowners were listed together with the available income and within the village itself King William owned three hides, estimated at about 360 acres, and others smaller areas. Among the very few markets mentioned in the Domesday Book was the one at Svdtone worth 20 shillings a year to the King.

For much more detail on the historical aspects of the village, click here

The Manor

The history of the Manor is documented in considerable detail by both Bridges and Baker. At the time of the Domesday Survey and up to the reign of Henry II, it belonged to the Crown. In 1156, Henry granted the Lordship to Richard Camvill and the Sheriff of the County Simon FitzPeter was paid 30 pounds in blank, uncoined silver on behalf of the King. The Manor passed to Richard’s son Gerard and to his son Richard.

In 1215 during the reign of King John, Richard Camvill was dispossessed in favour of Ingelram de Cigon but in the following year, the first in the reign of Henry III, it was returned to him. His only surviving child, a daughter Idonea, married William Longspe, Earl of Salisbury, and in 1226 he was granted the Manor. In 1240, it passed from William to his brother Stephen and then to Emmeline, his daughter. She died in 1331 and the Manor was inherited by her great niece, Matilda, wife of Robert de Holland.

During the 14th century, the Manor passed to Matilda’s son Robert de Holland and after his death in 1373, to his grand-daughter, Matilda aged 17. wife of Lord John Lovell. In the 15th century it continued through the Lovell family hut in 1485 it again reverted to the King. Henry VII. The names Holland and Lovell are both associated with the village in later years.

In 1488, King Henry granted the Manor to George. the son and heir of Thomas, 1st Earl of Derby. Over the following hundred years it passed through the Derby family until in 1597, during the reign of Queen Elizabeth, it was sold by William, 6th Earl of Derby, to James and Robert Kenwrick. James had been the 5th Earl of Derby’s baliff for the Hundred of King’s Sutton. A year later in 1598, James Kenwrick renounced his share to his nephew Robert and retired to the family home in Eccieston, Lancashire. The Manor then continued through Robert Kenwrick’s descendants until 1735.

 



A King’s Sutton artist and two world wars

John Selby-Bigge
John Selby-Bigge

This page is adapted from an article by art historian and King’s Sutton resident Roger Neill, in which he celebrates the life and work of ‘forgotten’ Surrealist artist, soldier and chicken-farmer, John Selby-Bigge. Roger’s article originally appeared in the May 2014 issue of the Oxford Times’ Oxfordshire Limited Edition supplement.

In the cemetery at the village of King’s Sutton there is a gravestone for a small child. This stone is for Joanna Annabella Lewis Selby-Bigge. She died in July 1919 aged just four, perhaps a consequence of the ‘Spanish Flu’ epidemic.

The inscription records in Latin the awful loss borne by her parents:

]ocundissima
Dilectissima
Amantissima

…most joyful, most delectable, most loving.

It was noticing this intriguing message from the past that piqued my curiosity. Who were Joanna Selby-Bigge and her parents? I had no idea that the results should be so fascinating.

They lived in King’s Sutton on the Northamptonshire-Oxfordshire border. Before the First World War, her father, John Selby-Bigge, had earned a living there as a chicken farmer and part-time artist. Now substantially forgotten, John was born in Oxford in 1892, where his father, Amherst Selby-Bigge was working as a fellow and lecturer in philosophy at University College.

In 1902 Amherst joined the Board of Education, where his career as a civil servant grew steadily until he became Permanent Secretary. Perhaps his greatest achievement in this role was the 1918 Education Act, which made school attendance compulsory for children up to the age of 14. He wrote several books on philosophy and education and was rewarded for his life’s work with a baronetcy in 1919. A pillar of the establishment.

 Joanna Selby-Bigge’s gravestone
Joanna Selby-Bigge’s gravestone

In the early years of the 20th century, the Selby·Bigge family lived at the Manor in King’s Sutton (and at 7 Wilbraham Place, near Sloane Square in London), the baronetcy being named after the village. But in 1919 Sir Amherst purchased the Manor House at the village of Kingston, near Lewes in East Sussex, where he was to farm in retirement.

After school at Winchester College (where he was a scholar), John had a spell at Christ Church, Oxford, which he abandoned in 1912, adopting a ‘gypsy’ lifestyle and, according to his unpublished memoirs, rejecting the ‘banalities of the sophisticated world’. In 1913 aged 21, he enrolled at the Slade School of Fine Art in London, which is where he met and married another art student, Joanna’s mother, Rachel Ruth Humphries. Ruth was a member of the family who ran the Lund Humphries art printing and publishing business in Bradford.

It is unclear to me how or why, during the First World War, John found himself an Inspector of Muleteers for the Macedonian Mule Corps in Greece. He appears to have joined the Army Service Corps (which became Royal in 1918) as a Lieutenant in 1914. The Mule Corps was formed in October 1915 because the British Army, fighting the Bulgarians in Salonika, short of drivers and vehicles, and in difficult mountainous terrain, needed to establish better ways of resupplying the troops and operating field ambulance activities.

Over a three-year period, some 13,000 men were recruited as muleteers, many of them from Cyprus, supporting an allied army at that now forgotten front in excess of 700,000. At the end of that war he was seconded to work in Intelligence in Salonika and Athens.

Through Ruth’s friendships at the Slade, mainly with members of the Bloomsbury group, John came to know a number of artists and writers who went on to become prominent. Among these were the economist John Maynard Keynes, the artists Dora Carrington and Dorothy Brett, and the writer Lytton Strachey, who wrote in July 1918 to Carrington (a close friend of Ruth), describing a dinner with the young Selby·Bigges:

’A good deal came to light in the course of it – about him, I mean: and his state of mind – the change from what he used to be, etc – became explicable. He had evidently been crushed flat by the war – not its worst horrors, but the stupidity of everyone he was with, and the appalling dullness of existence… I thought he was really one of the most truly good people I had ever met.’ Strachey was evidently attracted to John, referring to the Selby-Bigges in an earlier letter to Carrington as ‘Ruth and her fair Boy’.

Travoys for Wounded Soldiers in Macedonia by Stanley Spencer 1916
Travoys for Wounded Soldiers in Macedonia by Stanley Spencer 1916

Immediately after the war, John returned to England and chicken farming in King’s Sutton, but he also worked as a catalogue designer at the London office of his wife’s family’s firm, and later took a job at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, ‘cataloguing some of the pictures and prints, dusting priceless china and illustrating by hand the new acquisitions in the museum catalogue’. His wife Ruth ran an art class in Oxford and a second daughter, Lydia, was born in 1920. Two more children followed – Cornelia and Mary.

Early in the 1920s the family moved to farm at Chiddingly near Eastbourne – a ‘vast chicken farm’, according to Dora Carrington, ‘producing 300 dozen eggs every week’ from 3,000 hens. He did battle, unsuccessfully it seems, with the local foxes. No matter how many nights he spent out ‘watching’, it was no use. Sooner or later the foxes won.

In 1923, the Selby·Bigges gave up the rural life, returning to live at Ladbroke Grove in London, where John took up estate agency, painting in his spare time. In the late 1920s, profoundly influenced by an exhibition of the Greek-born Italian artist Giorgio de Chirico at Tooth’s Gallery in London, he became an active member of the Surrealist group of artists in Britain, always known in his artistic capacity as plain John Bigge.

His closest friendship throughout this period was with another British Surrealist, Edward Wadsworth, whom he had first met through his wife at the Slade. His first solo exhibition was at the Wertheim Gallery in London in 1931. He then had a solo show at Galerie Vignon in Paris in 1932.

Tyrolean Dreams by John Bigge(1935, The Sherwin Collection)
Tyrolean Dreams by John Bigge(1935, The Sherwin Collection)

The following year he became a founding member of the influential Unit One group of Surrealists, members including the painters Paul Nash, Ben Nicholson, Edward Wadsworth, John Armstrong, Edward Burra and Frances Hodgkins, the sculptors Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth. the architects Wells Coates and Colin Lucas and the writer Herbert Read. Frances Hodgkins left the group quite early, replaced by another painter Tristram Hillier (who was also to become a close friend of John). Read in 1934 edited a kind of manifesto for the group, Unit 1: the modern movement in English architecture, painting and sculpture.

For Bigge, although criticism of the group’s show was favourable, sales were scarce. Shortly after Unit One’s exhibition, John had another one-man show at the Lefevre Gallery in London.‘My pictures were all abstract, rather dull and badly hung,’ John wailed in his memoirs.

From 1936 John lived variously in Austria, France, Portugal and Spain. At some point his marriage to Ruth foundered and he married a second time, to his ‘Viennese Marija’.

During the Second World War, John Selby-Bigge worked initially as a sub-editor with the BBC’s European News Service, but in 1945, at the cessation of hostilities, he became deeply involved in humanitarian work as Assistant Commissioner for Civilian Relief with the British Red Cross in Austria. In this role he has been credited with saving thousands of lives of anti-communist Slovenian civilians, who had been ordered by the British Military Government in Austria to be sent back to Yugoslavia, where Tito’s newly-founded Communist regime was systematically torturing and executing returned refugees.

The order that was issued by the British Military Government said that ‘all Yugoslav nationals at present in the Corps area will be handed over to Tito forces as soon as possible,’ and it continued: ‘These forces will be disarmed immediately but will NOT be told of their destination.’ Not only did the British military follow this order, returning some 10,000 Slovenes, but, in carrying out the instruction, the Slovenes were told by the British that they were being sent to a new camp in Italy, when in reality they were being returned directly to Tito’s regime and certain death – a deliberate lie.

Very few of the British officers involved in the deception ever owned up to it, a significant exception being a young captain in the Grenadier Guards – later writer, publisher and MP, Nigel Nicolson – who described the forcible repatriations as “three weeks that should live in infamy… one of the most disgraceful operations British soldiers have ever been ordered to undertake.’’

John Selby-Bigge had been involved for several months with the British Red Cross in Italy before being transferred to Austria. When he arrived at the refugee camp, 10,000 Slovenes in military uniform had already been repatriated (and slaughtered). Now it was the turn of the remaining Slovene civilians – some 6,000 of them. Selby-Bigge quickly understood the situation and decided that the operation should be stopped immediately.

One of his co-workers, John Corsellis, has written: “John Selby-Bigge’s orthodox background and unorthodox career gave him self-confidence, style and a mind of his own, and meant he also was not overawed by the military establishment but handled them with great tact and skill… while three years of active army service as an officer with marked linguistic skills, latterly as acting captain, in Macedonia in the First World War enabled him to negotiate with the military during the Second World War on close to equal terms.”

In effect, what Selby-Bigge did was to have one-to-one meetings with the two senior British generals, telling them that he was not going to allow the order to be carried out, and persuading both that the order needed to be rescinded – which it was, saving all the civilian Slovene lives. The facts about this whole episode were concealed from the public for 40 years – until the publication of The Minister and the Massacres by Count Nicolai Tolstoy in 1986. And in a later book, A Looking-Glass Tragedy, Christopher Booker suggests that the main effect of Selby-Bigge’s interventions was in saving the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of displaced Cossacks and other anti-Communist Russians.

However, in spite of the decades of secrecy surrounding these events in Austria, John was nevertheless made an OBE in the New Year’s Honours List in 1946. He became the second baronet of King’s Sutton on the death of his father in 1951, wrote (still) unpublished memoirs, and died at Le Bugue in the Dordogne in 1973. The baronetcy lapsed on his death.

John Bigge’s work, all in the artistic space between Surrealism and Abstraction, can be found in the following public collections in Britain: Tate (London), Southampton, Wolverhampton, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Ferens (Hull). Outside the UK, John Bigge’s work can be found in the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto and the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.

In 2014, he was included in a major exhibition of the Sherwin Collection at the Abbot Hall Art Gallery in Cumbria, British Surrealism Unlocked. In the catalogue for that show, Jeffrey Sherwin has written: ‘Selby-Bigge found inspiration in the realms of dreams and the sub-conscious mind, and his landscapes and seascapes are considered among the most effective of any artist associated with the British Surrealist movement.’


Astrop and its Spa

After the Civil War the discovery of a medicinal spring at Astrop heralded the start of an era of prosperity for the village. George Baker, published his History of Northamptonshire in parts between 1822 and 1830 it provided a complete and systematic history of the southern half of the county and described the rise and fall of the fortunes of our local spa. It flourished for over 100 years but was in decline by 1786.

In April 1664 Dr. Richard Lower, an eminent physician travelling with Dr. Willis to visit patients, discovered a medicinal spring at Eastthorp, commonly called Astrop, near King’s Sutton. His companion was as usual either asleep or in a sleepy condition, on horseback: but afterwards, imparting his discovery, they on their return made some experiments on it and being persuaded of its efficacy, recommended it in their practice. Soon after the water was enclosed in a well and upon the said commendations ’twas yearly frequents by all sorts of people.”

Another traveller, Aubrey, gave a different version of the discovery and attributed it solely to Dr. Willis:

About 1657, riding towards Brackley to a patient, his way led him through Astrop, where he observed the stones in the little rill were discoloured of a kind of Crocus Martis colour; thought he, this may be an indication of iron; he gets galls, and puts some of the powder into the water; and immediately it turned blackish; then said he, ‘Ile not send my patients now so far as Tunbridge,’ and so in a short time brought these waters into vogue, and hath enriched a poor obscure village.”

Celia Fiennes, travelling from Broughton in about 1690, wrote:

“I went to Astrop where is a Steele water much frequented by the Gentry, there is a fine Gravell Walke that is between two high cutt hedges where is a Roome for the Musick and a Roome for the Company besides the Private walkes.”

Anthony A Wood paid a visit to the well in 1694 and recorded in his diary:

“Soon after, the water was enclosed in a well and upon the said commendations ’twas yearly, as to this time it is frequented by all sorts of people. July 10th. I went to Astrop Wells; took up my lodgings at Wm Upton’s at King’s Sutton near there unto; and continued there ’til the 15th of August. I2s. for my carriage backwards and forwards, and 5 pounds for my being there; 4s 6d. I gave for my lodgings per week.”

Thomas Short, writing in 1740, suggested it was a cure for most ills:

“I found it a certain cure in all female Obstructions, and singularly good in the first, and beginning of the second stage of consumptions; seldom fail in the Jandice, or begining Dropsies, effectually restore a Constitution Shattered by hard Drinking, they are Sovereign in Rheumatic pains Stone and Gravel; and have restored several who have been melancholly or maniac.”

Dr Radcliffe, the famous physician from Oxford, was said to have patronised Astrop very warmly. In 1749 a new well was opened at King’s Sutton with great solemnity at which a breakfast was given by Anthony Keek of Leicestershire in gratitude for the benefit he had received. (This is the Bog Spring which can still be found in the meadow close by the railway station.)

While Astrop was at the height of its fame there was a public ball every Monday, cards, dancing and a variety of social events. Its popularity declined rapidly at the start of the 19th century and was soon overtaken by more fashionable rivals.

The original well in Astrop Park is now in very poor condition. A replica was built on the Charlton road following the purchase of the estate by Sir William Brown in 1865 and the closure of the public road through the park to Newbottle.

In Northamptonshire Notes and Queries (published in 1886) an article and poem refers to op “sinking for ever and for ever. Quoting:

There is reference to this flourishing time in the verses given here. Possibly the festivities connected with a Michaelmas goose at Astrop became too uproarious, and the abolition of the feast may have been necessary as a matter of decency and order.

On the abolition of an ancient and excellent Institution called the Goose Feast, at Astrop Wells, September 29, 1786:

With grateful Glee and Joy profuse.
Oft have I eat an Astrop Goose;
Such Geese indeed we might well brag on,
Fit for St. Micheal and the Dragon!
In ancient History we read,
The Predeccessors of thes Breed,
By cackling did avert the Doom,
And save the Capital of Rome;
Where were ye Cacklers of the Wells,
Ye brilliant Beaus, ye lovely Belles?
Why join’d you not in full Oration,
Against this impious Innovation;
Which alters Days, and Times and Seasons,
O’erturns old custom, ancient Reasons;
To follow still the changing Moon,
Will put the Country out of Tune,
And Astrop once esteem’d so clever,
Now sinks for ever and for ever!

It is of interest that none of the early writers link the name St. Rumbold with the Well. This appears to be no more than a convenient association with the legend adopted in later years.

The Bog Spring of King’s Sutton

The previous article about Astrop wells mentioned another well at King’s Sutton and this was opened in 1749. This is the Bog Spring and can be found in a field, just north of Wales Street, next to the railway. An eminent historian, Sir George Clark, suggested that this was the original St. Rumbold’s well, the name having been borrowed by those promoting Astrop in the 17th century.

A description by B. Thompson in 1914 shows little change:

This spring rises in a field near to the railway and it is still in use by the people around. At the present time the spring is enclosed by post and rails – wooded posts and iron rails about 24 yards around. The enclosure is polygonal with seven sides and a gateway. The water flows in a thin stream from a small lead pipe in a mound above the general ground level, but I understand there is no reservoir in the mound. The supply of water is maintained at all seasons, and the surplus water is carried away by a drain to the nearest ditch, near to the road.

As to the water, it is entirely different to the Astrop water, although comparatively near, and is probably derived from the lower beds of the Middle Lias instead of the Upper. It is not Chalybeate, ie it does not deposit iron on standing and does not go turbid on standing. It is saline water having a brackish taste, containing nearly four times as much solid matter to the gallon as the Astrop water; and according to Mr.Beesley contains a little Iodine.”

In the description Beesley’s analysis, made in 1850 is reported with the comment:

A sample of the water collected July 1913, shows that the water has not changed materially since 1850. for the solid residue dried at 115 C. amounted to 182 grains per gallon, and was chiefly composed of Chloride of sodium (common salt) and sulphate of Sodium (Glaubers salts), the latter being the substance which gives it its real medicinal properties.

This is not bog water, but apparently the spring rising in the low ground originally made a bog, hence the name Sutton Bog Spring.”

An analysis for Brackley Rural District Council in 1963 shows a similar composition and a letter from the Public Analyst states:

The dose of sodium sulphate when given medicinally is 15 to 120 grains, and a person drinking one and a half pints of this water would receive approximately the minimum dose of this salt. The water is therefore likely to have some aperient effect if consumed in any quantity or regular doses, and in many cases this could prove beneficial. Being saline the water will be good for satisfying thirst and useful in alleviating salt depletion. On the other hand it would be unsuitable for persons on a sodium restricted diet. In addition to its interesting mineral composition, the chemical results show the water to be of a high degree of organic purity.

St Rumbold’s Well – Medicinal or Holy Water

(From the King’s Sutton Times dated Jun 1993)

In about 1863 William Johnson, in his History of Banbury and its Neighbourhood, discussed the religious association of the well in the reigns of Henry II and Edward III, centuries before its discovery as a medicinal well based on its mineral content:

“At this period, great virtues were supposed to be inherent in chalybeat springs, to which were attributed not only the medicinal property of the waters, but also the reputed sanctity of some particular saint. Thus at Astrop, we have St. Rumbold’s Well – whoever St. Rumbold may have been – a spring bubbling up by the side of the highway, closely adjoining a gamekeepers house, and about midway between the mansions and village of King’s Sutton. In after times this well became famous as the resort of upper class invalids – a sort of rival to Tunbridge and Bath – until the paternity of an illegitimate child was attributed to a fashionable physician, whoever afterwards took umbrage to the waters and declared that they were valueless for the purposes of medicine.

“Then there was St. Stephen’s Well a short way westward from Banbury, and that of St. Botolph at the village of Farnborough – neither of which, it is true, was so popular as the Rumbold Saint; still both would have their devotees and pilgrims to their shrine. So numerous were these towards the close of the century at which we are now arrived , and so heavy were the exactions on the Churches patrimony in support of the helpless cripples who crowded thither in search of an exceedingly problematical cure, that Bishop Oliver Sutton, who had succeeded to the episcopate of Lincoln about 1280, found it necessary to exert the authority of his office and to prohibit the indigent from the practice of making ‘pilgrimages’ to the so-called holy wells.”

Thus Astrop Well fell into obscurity until its accidental rediscovery by Dr Lower and Dr Willis in 1664.

The Moving Tale of a Saint and his Spring

(From the King’s Sutton Times dated September 1997)

It blackened both teeth and stools, but the water of St. Rumbold’s Well in King’s Sutton was highly prized in the 18th century… Byron Rogers traces the source.

Astrop Wells in 1813, drawn by Thomas Rowlandson

Beyond the last house lies a place of importance and some danger, and if you blink you will miss it, for the road out of King’s Sutton to Brackley straightens at this point and motorists accelerate. They would need to brake sharply to see the little wall and the warning signs put up by Northamptonshire County Council.

One proclaims “County Heritage Site”, although there is nothing to say why. The council, however, is explicit on the dangers: “Caution, Access Bank May Be Slippery”. So you stare in wonder at the path beyond the wall which leads down to a neo-classical stone seat, quite ornate. Beside this, a simple pipe sticks out of the bank; the pipe drips and the water has stained the earth red. Above is another sign, “Water Unfit For Drinking, NCC”. It is one of the oddest little places ever.

But close your eyes. We are going back to a time before county councils told people what to do, long before county councils even were. This place is full of ghosts, and here they come… “Lord Lymington and the Hon Master Wallops, his three brothers, young Master Cartwright of Aynho and his tutor, the Rev Mr Parker, Sir Henry D’Anvers, the Rev Dr Grey and his wife, the Rev Dr Trimmell, Captain Thicknesse …”

Not the Captain Thicknesse, the most quarrelsome man in the 18th century, of whom it was said he could sniff out an insult at 100 yards? The very same. But Thicknesse did not quarrel in the Northamptonshire village of King’s Sutton.

He drank the water dripping from that pipe, up to a gallon-and-a-half of it a day, which had the effect of turning stools black as jet. He would have had unlimited opportunity to admire this piece of conjuring, for the water was also a potent laxative. Captain Thicknesse had things other than insult on his mind in this lost spa.

Unlike their Continental counterparts. the spas of England are all shadows now (although Bath is applying for a grant from the Millennium Commission for an ambitious rebirth). But all still have their buildings, the pool and pump rooms agonised over by town councils who do not know what to do with them now that no one comes. “You should have been here 60 years ago,” an old man in Llandrindod Wells said, wistfully. “We had a lavatory every 10yards.”

But in King’s Sutton you have to tum detective to spot the footnotes to lost grandeur – a doorway here, a window there – until, that is, you come to the churchyard. Here the footnotes are massed, the gravestones of the 18th century, row upon ornate row, and so many of them there could have been little room to bury anyone there afterwards. Perhaps the water always was a bit dodgy.

The original spring is in a field in front of the big house on the outskirts of the village, fenced off against curious cattle. The main road came past this one but the squire had that moved, as squires could then and a depression in the field is all that is left of the old highway. A later squire had the pipe run out to the Brackley road.

And King’s Sutton forgot the periwigs and the crinolines who flocked here to cure the gout and fix the loose teeth, even though the water turned these black as well.

But the village had a fame 1,000 years before that, and I am indebted to the antiquarian Kemmis Buckley for his researches.

The spring is called St. Rumbold’s Well, after a 7th Century Saxon saint who was born here, crying out loudly at the moment of birth that he was a Christian. Dramatic place, King’s Sutton.

In the crowded first day of his life, which was also his last, Rumbold was baptised in a huge concave stone that no-one could lift, received Holy Communion and preached a sermon. Ho, ho, ho, I hear you say, except that in 1923 something rather odd turned up in the churchyard.

After replacing a fallen pinnacle on the spire, workmen were asked by the vicar to clear away a large earth mound outside the porch. This had been much loved by children, who played leapfrog on it. But when dug into, it revealed a huge concave stone that no-one could lift. Clearly of great age, it is now the church font and so big that a fully-grown man could be baptised in it. It was not only the young who were baptised in pagan England.

They were always finding things in King’s Sutton. A year earlier, in 1922, the holy water stoup had been retrieved from a nearby farmyard, and three centuries earlier there had been the most important find of all when Thomas Willis, a local doctor, rediscovered St. Rumbold’s Wells in 1667. It was said that he was asleep on his horse at the time. Dr Willis tested the water for iron and said: “I’ll not send my patients now as far as Tunbridge Wells.” Its fame spread so quickly that a year later a pamphlet was published listing 70 conditions this water could cure. “It penetrates through every occult passage where other medicines cannot come.”

And then everyone came, the doctors first. Dr. Radcliffe, later to have a hospital named after him in Oxford, initially praised the water, but then vilified it, as he was later to do with the water at Bath. Kemmis Buckley has found that the abrupt waning of enthusiasm for King’s Sutton may have something to do with the fact that the parish made Dr Radcliffe pay for an illegitimate child he had fathered during his visit. Potent stuff, the water.

Dr Radcliffe swore “he would put a toad in that well”, but his professional colleague, a Dr Short, purred: “If he did put a toad in, he either took it out again or the water converted it into one of the most restorative medicines in the country”.

It was Dr Short who suggested the dosage. A pint or two a day was no use, he wrote; to get the maximum benefit, it was necessary to drink six to 10 pints of it every day. That teeth and mouth were stained an indelible black was a small price to pay.

“Oh there were tea-rooms, a dance-hall, long gravel walks and, most important many conveniences for the drinkers to repair to when the waters operate.” Of all these, it is only the neo-classical stone seat which survives. Gone the tea-rooms and the ballrooms, gone all those fine, if blackened, lords and ladies.

Gone are the Prince and Princess of Wales, gone the Lord Chief Justice of England, also a Mr Thomas Thornton, who for half a life-time came every year, staying three months at a time for his health. That he had no need to worry is suggested by the fact that he industriously drank sea-water as well, and must have had the constitution of an ox.

Thornton wrote verses to a friend describing days which started at nine and consisted of walking up and down, of talking to friends and listening to brass bands until, shaking, it was evening, when the boozing and the dancing could start. These, of course, had to be flushed out of the system the next morning, day after day, week after week . They were mighty men in England 200 years ago.

But fashion changed. Other spas, such as Leamington, opened, and after the first decade of the 19th century a great silence, one writer noted, fell upon King’s Sutton. When, in 1914, Mr Thompson came, he said he could just about make out the ruins of the tea-room and the assembly hall, and sadly took the treasurements.

One picture of the golden years survives. (as above) The great Thomas Rowlandson came in 1813 when the crowds had thinned, but he was still able to show them walking up and down, up and down, in bonnet and tricorne hat. The ornate stone seat he painted survives, where the water still runs for the ghosts, which Northamptonshire County Council will not allow anyone else to try.

This article appeared in The Sunday Telegraph on 15th June 1997, and is reproduced with the kind permission of Byron Rogers, the author, and The Sunday Telegraph.


Employment and Commerce in King’s Sutton

The station master and staff at King’s Sutton
The station master and staff at King’s Sutton

Trades and Employment

Until the coming of the Great Western Railway most work was to be found on the farms and in associated services such as the blacksmith, saddler and wheelwright. Pump making was an important business as, with no mains water, one either had to use a well or a pump.

Cabinet and chair making was carried out and these craftsmen met socially at the Walnut Tree Inn in Church Avenue. Other trades such as thatching and shoemaking continued until recent times. Edgar Mobley was the last thatcher from the village and he retired in 1949. Bert Stockford is still remembered as the shoe-mender along with ‘Snobby’ Ring, whilst “Shoe-maker” Wyatt and Johnny Taylor, the church sexton, were shoe-makers.

When the Oxford to Birmingham railway line was built a new opportunity was opened because it became possible for ironstone to be mined and carried away by rail. There were mines at Astrop, Nell Bridge and Sydenham. Joseph ‘Joey’ Owens, the ironmaster at Astrop, lived in the house on the corner of Astrop Road and The Knob, it was then known as Spring Vale after the foundry at Bilston. To reach the Sydenham works the workers walked over Black Bridge and through Factory Meadow where the old paint factory had stood, from there they crossed the river and canal by a footbridge and a swing bridge.

See details of ”Gertrude” one of the three trains used at the Sydenham Iron works….also see Gertrude now! reunited with The Doll”

The demolished ironstone works at Sydenham
The demolished ironstone works at Sydenham

Work at the Ironstone Works was very hard and not well paid. In the early 1900s the pay was 4d per ton for wet ore and 3 1/2d for dry. A man could usually fill about twenty wagons which each held 1 ton of ore. For stripping the soil, the pay was 3d. a yard and one farthing for tipping each wagon. Fred Hickman, who is now in his eighties, (in 1993) started work at Sydenham when he was 14 years old and as he had a good head for figures was put to working out the wages. The wage was linked to the cost of iron so as the price rose during the First World War so the men earned more. However, when the war finished and the price went down many families faced difficulties. When Astrop closed in 1924 and Sydenham in 1926 two thirds of the working population were without work and great poverty was experienced. A soup kitchen was operated from the Reading Room as had previously happened in 1887-88.

Evidence of the workings can still be seen around the village, fields being lower than nearby roads and, if you look carefully, you will see where the tramway was laid, along which horse-drawn trucks carried the iron-ore down to the railway sidings. One of these foundations can be seen on either side of the road near Buston Farm.

Apprentices learnt their trades from experienced craftsmen. In 1927 Jack Cox was apprenticed under the Ann Jenkinson Charity to Messrs Harris Bros. to “learn the art, trade or business of carpenter and wheelwright”. During the five years following, “the said apprentice his Master faithfully shall serve, his secrets keep, his lawful commands everywhere gladly do, he shall do no damage to his said Master nor see to be done of others but to the best of his power prevent or forthwith give warning to his said Master of the same, he shall not waste Goods of his said Master nor lend them unlawfully”. A common practice in the early part of this century was for schoolgirls, as soon as school was finished, to work as maids doing housework for the local gentry.

New Opportunities

Gradually other opportunities arose at the Northern Aluminium Company in Banbury, Morris Motors at Cowley and the building of RAF Upper Heyford. Some also found employment at Bletchington Cement Works, Wroxton Ironstone and on the Great Western Railway. At the start of the Second World War men were conscripted into the forces and it became necessary for women to take their place in the factories and on the land as they had during the First World War.

Agriculture, which had been affected by the depression, now became an important source of food as many supplies were cut off. As mechanisation became more prevalent small farms gave way to larger units, fields increased in size with the removal of hedges so the small working farms within the village gradually disappeared. There is now only one farm, Home Farm, situated in the village and even that is cut off from its land due to housing development. Within the parish boundaries there are still working farms, Buston Farm, Astrop Hill Farm, Little Purston, Sutton Lodge Farm and The Mill House Farm, the remainder of the land being worked by company farms.

Commerce – The Early Part of the Century

There were nearly 50 businesses directly serving the villagers in 1914 as listed in Kelly’s directory. These included Alfred Adkins and Thomas Hopkins, bakers, David Cadd the saddler, six shop-keepers, Joseph Ayriss, John Cousins, John Dagley, Mary Jane Parry, George Turvey and William Tustain. There was also the Banbury Co-operative Industrial Society Ltd.

Apart from these there were a variety of small shops which people set up in their front room. Both Janet Bevis and Elsie Merry remember these little shops, especially Mrs Hurst who kept a little shop in Red Lion Square selling haberdashery, sweets and liquorice rolls which cost one farthing. Janet helped in her own mother’s shop making ice-cream by putting ice-cream powder, egg substitute and milk into a container and, placing the container inside another then surrounding it with ice and saltpetre, turned the handle until the ice-cream was made. This was done on a Saturday morning and sold at Id. a cornet and 2d. a wafer in the afternoon at the cricket matches in the Greens. The Dagley family had the Post Office at the The Lace House. Mr Dagley is remembered for his little goatee beard. Olive Wyatt worked there at that time and next door Mrs McGinlay had the shop which had previously belonged to Mr Joseph Ayriss, her brother.

The Co-op (formerley Mr & Mrs Heath’s general store) was situated on the corner of Astrop Road and Mill Lane but in the 1930s moved temporarily into the old thatched Methodist Chapel whilst modernisation took place. Fred Moore and then Ted Keen were the managers and Kath Stimpson and Sheila Wyatt worked there for many years. Kath took over as manageress when Ted Keen left in 1964 and stayed until its closure in 1977. In the early days customers would sit on a chair in the shop doing their knitting whilst waiting for their order to be put up, the bacon sliced just as they liked it and the tea and sugar weighed out from sacks.

Since the closure of the Co-op the shop has become Coupe’s Stores with its own butchery owned by Ivan and Neville Coupe.

The-Bakery
The-Bakery

Other businesses in 1914 were George Kerby, a hurdle maker, Dr. J. Rickards, physician and surgeon. Public Houses were run by Oliver Compton at The Three Tuns and Frederick Poole at The Bell, there were two beer retailers, one William Williams was also the butcher at the Butchers Arms, two carriers, two builders, a blacksmith, dressmaker, coal merchant and drainage contractor. Twyford Mill was owned by Spokes & Marriage and the other mill, King’s Sutton Mill in Mill Lane, was run by Robert Lane.

By 1940 there were three coal merchants, Owen Judd, Cousins & Morgan and Eder ‘Jack’ Bint who was also a dairyman and cow-keeper, Mr Hopkins’ bakery had been sold to Percy Ayriss and Ernest Plank had taken over from Alfred Adkins.

Astrop-Stores
Astrop-Stores

Miss Anna Dagley had retired and Mr & Mrs McGinlay took over the Post Office & telephone exchange. Mrs McGinlay retired and closed the shop in 1972, having already transferred the Post Office to Mr & Mrs Bert Taylor in High Street. Today the Post Office is in the old bakery in Bull’s Lane (Red Lion Square), as part of the Spinney Bank Stores. David Cadd continued as saddle and harness maker, Leonard Green as the blacksmith and William Barber was still one of the carriers, the other being Edward ‘Teddy’ Meadows.

Garages

There were two garages in the village Canning’s Garage, formerly owned by Mr Terry Canning, ran a fleet of coaches until 1974 when they were sold to Heyfordian Coaches. Mr Canning retired in 1978 but the business continues under new ownership. Waverley Garage, owned by Mr Eddie Moon, was opened in 1947 and continues as a family business.

Working for the Parish

The following is an interesting example of a contract with the Parish Council from the early part of the century:

AN AGREEMENT made this ninth day of June, One thousand, nine hundred and thirteen – between The King’s Sutton Parish Council and John Lovesey, as to labour in connection with the said Council.

I, John Lovesey of King’s Sutton hereby agree to carry out the whole of the work required to be done by the said Council, including grave digging at the Cemetery, also mow with ‘machine once a week, mow the ordinary grass twice a year, keep graves tidy, trim hedges and clean ditches twice a year, dig round the inside of hedge and fence once a year, to attend to flower borders when necessary.

To clean Lamps once a week (when in use) and light them as instructed. To weed the parish footpaths once a year. To go round with the Cart to collect the Household Refuse once per week, and afterwards bury same.

To attend to the Recreation Ground hedges, also to lock and unlock the swing and see-saw each weekend.

The Cemetery Grass to be mown and cleaned away in a reasonable time. All the above mentioned work to be done to the satisfaction of the Council for the sum of Twenty six pounds (£26.0.0) per year. The payment to be made at the rate of 10/- per week.

In case of any breach of Contract in any of the above mentioned work, one months notice be given to terminate this Agreement.

Witness: Alfred Weaver
Clerk to Parish Council”

Signed: John Lovesey 1913


Olga Kevelos – “Idle Woman”, international motorcycle champion and pub landlady

Olga in 1954 on her Greeves motorcycle
Olga in 1954 on her Greeves motorcycle

Olga Kevelos was an astronomer, “Idle Woman”, motorcycle racing champion, Mastermind contestant, a much-loved (and respected) pub landlady, an energetic parish councillor, sometimes a very wicked humourist, and a good friend to many, many people in King’s Sutton and beyond.

Olga was born on November 6, 1923. She was the first child of a wealthy Greek financier and the English widow of an Indian Army doctor who had died of wounds sustained in the First World War. After marrying in Nice, the couple had settled in a large Victorian villa in a then rather well-to-do suburb of Birmingham, Edgbaston. Olga’s birth was followed two years later by a brother, Victor, and then in 1932 by yet another brother, Raymond.

Olga attended the celebrated King Edward VI High School for Girls, where she more than held her own, academically speaking. But the unconventional and competitive aspects of her nature were also much in evidence even then. At one point, she was severely censured by the headmistress for organising a wholly unauthorised roller-skate race in the school hall. History doesn’t record who won that race.

After going on to study metallurgy, and with the country now at war, Olga worked for a time in the laboratories of William Mills, manufacturer of the famous Mills Bomb. Recalling that time many years later, Olga was quoted as saying: “…I give thanks for the war, otherwise I would never have escaped from home. Although I loved it, I wanted to live in the outside world.

Always passionate about astronomy, Olga was then lured to London by the offer of a job at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich. Unfortunately, enemy bombing forced the closure of the Observatory soon afterwards and Olga was evacuated along with other members of staff to the Admiralty at Bath.

Her arrival in Bath dismayed at least one member of the senior management there, Donald Sadler, who later recalled in his memoirs that “Olga Kevelos… could not do arithmetic and terrified people by stalking around with a large knife in her belt… Most [members of the clerical staff] were reasonably competent and one or two were exceptionally good, but a few were hopeless — Olga Kevelos could not add plus and minus signs together.” Mr Sadler did acknowledge, however, that “…she seemed an interesting woman, and after the war, became a motor-cycle racing champion!”

An “Idle Woman”

It has to be said that Olga wasn’t especially pleased to be in Bath either. There was none of the star-gazing that so fascinated her and the daily grind of endless paperwork didn’t suit a young girl who yearned to make her way in the world. One day in 1943, though, fate intervened to change her life dramatically. Her eye was caught by an advertisement placed in the Times by the Department for War Transport. The ad was seeking female trainees to work on canal barges for the Inland Waterways. Olga jumped at the chance to escape the drudgery of clerical work and spent the next two years with several all-female volunteer crews who manned barges carrying vital war materials up and down the Grand Union Canal between London and the Midlands.

Nearly 50 years on, in June 1992, Olga was delighted to be invited to a reunion held at the Blatchworth Canal Centre in Hertfordshire to honour those extraordinary women. They had been nicknamed the “Idle Women” after the initials IW on their badges. Officially, IW stood for Inland Waterways, but the traditional boat people alongside whom they worked — people born and bred to the canal system — called them idle women and the name had stuck.

They had certainly been women, but far from idle. Interviewed at the Blatchworth reunion by a journalist from the Independent newspaper, Olga remembered that it was “hard work with no respite at all. From the moment you cast off in the morning,” she said, “you just kept going till you were ‘locked out’ — meaning that the lock had been shut — or darkness made it impossible for you to go any farther. We worked an 18- to-20-hour day, and nobody ever stopped.”

Unlike the much better known Land Girls, the Idle Women didn’t receive much in the way of extra rations. Olga said: “We subsisted on cocoa with condensed milk, national loaf and peanut butter. I don’t know how we managed to live and keep as fit as we did. I was always hungry, all the time.”

The 1992 reunion was organised to premier a play written and performed by members the Mikron Theatre company, which travelled the waterways presenting its works at canal-side venues. This very moving play, Imogen’s War, was based on diaries and books written by some of the Idle Women themselves. It was later performed by Mikron just down the road at Aynho Wharf where I remember Olga was thrilled to be the guest of honour.

Later still, in October 2005, the Waterways Trust and British Waterways unveiled a special plaque at the National Waterways Museum, in Stoke Bruerne not far from us, to commemorate the involvement of the idle women in the Home Front. In a long overdue appreciation of their contribution to the war effort, the British Waterways’ chairman, said this: “Keeping cargo moving along the waterways during the war was no easy task. These young ladies had to contend with limited rations, difficult living conditions and sometimes appalling weather including being ice-bound. Their selfless service to the country deserves recognition and we are delighted to unveil this plaque in their honour.”

After her momentous war, Olga was awarded a government grant to study French medieval history at the Cité University in Paris. Olga recalled having a “smashing time” during this period of study in the company of one of the girls she had crewed with on the canals. The pair bicycled all over Paris and travelled extensively in other parts of Europe as well. “I was one of the first backpackers,” she later quipped to a magazine journalist.

On the back of the knowledge of Europe she gained at this time, Olga started her own travel agency on her return to Birmingham. She also helped her father and other members of the family in the running of the Cherry Orchard restaurant in the centre of town, which her father had bought as a side line to his work at the Birmingham Stock Exchange.

Motorcycle champion

From there on, Olga’s life might well have returned to some semblance of normality if it hadn’t been for another twist of fate. Finding that her then boyfriend, Phil Heath, was slipping off at weekends to race motorcycles, Olga decided that the best way to stay with her man was to join him at the races. She borrowed a bike from an artist friend, took a few basic lessons in how to ride it, and embarked on a career that would last for over twenty years.

Encouraged by her bike-racing boyfriend to try her hand at the sport herself, Olga soon impressed everyone with her natural aptitude. She later listed all the qualities a motorcycle racer should have: “balance, anticipation, concentration and fearlessness.” It’s possible that her tough life working on the barges had something to do with her success as well, preparing her both mentally and physically for what was to come.

In fact, Olga did so well at her first race meeting that she was offered a bike and sponsorship there and then by the James Motorcycle Company. She accepted the offer but found the James machines too fickle and the following year was the proud owner of an AJS, which she rode down to San Remo in Italy to take part in the International Six Day Trial. In San Remo an accident left her with a broken wrist and a broken ankle too. Undaunted, she rode back to Birmingham with her wrist and ankle still in plaster. (It should be noted that most of Olga’s male competitors travelled to and from San Remo in the comparative luxury of their team transports.

Olga went on to win the first of her two Gold medals, riding a 500cc Norton in the following year’s International Six Day Trials in Wales. She was to ride in every Scottish and International Six Days Trial event until she finally retired from the sport in 1970. During that time, she won the backing of virtually every major British motorcycle manufacturer, and the Italian and Czech manufacturers Parilla and Jawa/CZ respectively. It was the imposition by the Czechs of a strict fitness regime lasting some six weeks, to which Olga later attributed her second gold medal in 1953.

Her former links with Czechoslovakia led Olga 40-odd years later to be invited to a Foreign Office reception held to celebrate the Czech Republic’s accession to the European Union. The then Prime Minister, Tony Blair, apparently spent some time discussing with Olga her views on Ghengis Khan. “He probably wanted a few tips on how to invade other people’s countries successfully,” she commented afterwards.

During her days as a professional motorcycle racer, Olga also turned her hand to competing on four wheels. She regularly drove Kieft Formula III cars at Brands Hatch and Thruxton. As well as the Kiefts, she raced cars designed by her greatest love, Rex McCandless. Rex was an extraordinary Irish engineer who when Olga first met him worked for leading British bike manufacturer Norton and he was a pivotal part of the team that developed the legendary Norton “featherbed” bike frame. The Featherbed was later adopted by just about every major motorcycle manufacturer in the world.

Rex later went on to work for fellow Ulsterman, tractor magnate Harry Ferguson (of Massey Ferguson fame), for whom he designed two revolutionary, aluminium-bodied racing cars that were distinguished by their Shamrock-shaped radiators. In the 1960s, Rex also took his inventive genius to the skies, designing and building his own Autogyro, a form of one-person helicopter similar to the one featured in the 1967 James Bond film You Only Live Twice. As with Olga, Rex attracted superlatives like a lamp attracts moths. It comes as no surprise, then, that he and Olga got on like a house on fire, sometimes almost literally.

Her career as Britain’s leading lady motorcyclist turned Olga into something of a celebrity of course and like all such people, she attracted a lot of press attention. Newspaper stories about her life abounded. Some of them were even true. During one of the Scottish six day trials, for example, Olga and one of the race officials, Allan Jefferies, were reported to have found themselves banged up in the Fort William nick for general rowdiness around the town. They were apparently only released the following morning after dire threats that the six days event would be moved to a different part of Scotland if the local police force didn’t let their prisoners go.

Then there was the time Olga drove her Italian Parilla motorcycle over a cliff during the International Six Day Trial at Lake Como in northern Italy. She lost two teeth as a result and also wrecked her bike. The headline in one of Italy’s leading newspapers, La Stampa, the following morning read: “Olga has lost her smile.”

Writing in an early 1960s Scottish Six Day Trial programme, one of Olga’s fellow participants, David Tye, recalled an encounter with her at a previous event. As he made his way around the course, Mr Tye came across Olga, apparently stranded by the wayside. No, she assured him, she didn’t need any help, she’d simply stopped to admire the view.

In 1964, Olga risked the wrath of the East German police by handing out to local children some expensively imported fruit she’d been given by the authorities. Unbeknown to Olga, such luxuries were “verboten” as far as the general population were concerned and, in any case, these children didn’t have any idea how to unpeel a banana. Olga competed in several other countries behind the old Iron Curtain – including Poland, Czechoslovakia and Russia – during her illustrious career, and she retained a great deal of sympathy for the collective sufferings of their people for the rest of her life.

The motorcycle trials events in which Olga participated were widely acknowledged as the longest and most strenuous of all motorcycle competitions. This short extract from a biography of the famously macho Hollywood film star Steve McQueen – who famously performed the stunt himself when filmed jumping his motorbike over a barbed wire fence in the film, the Great Escape – gives a flavour of just how tough they were:

“In September of 1964 Steve was chosen as a member of the US team for the ‘International Six Day Trials’, the most challenging motorcycle event in the world. Each member of the team would ride 200 miles per day, competing in a range of endurance and skill based events, through mountains, forests and rocky trails against the best riders the world had to offer.”

“The most challenging motorcycle event in the world… against the best riders the world had to offer.” It’s worth repeating those phrases. Remember, Olga Kevelos, the woman whose life we celebrate here, won two gold medals, and several more silver and bronze medals, against the best riders the world had to offer in the most challenging motorcycle event in the world.

Pub landlady, quiz fanatic and parish councillor

Olga eventually gave up racing in 1970 and settled down to help her younger brother Ray at his pub in King’s Sutton, the Three Tuns. The pair of them were to stay at the Tuns until 1992, the best part of 26 years in all. During that time they ran an orderly, if somewhat unconventional, house. On many occasions, for example, would-be customers could be heard shouting and banging on the pub door at seven thirty in the evening, well after official opening time, trying to get a drink.

In those days, before the arrival of late opening shops, the Tuns would also be invaded by children looking to buy chocolate from the pub’s “off licence”, a hatch to one side of the bar. Unsurprisingly, a lot of those children later learnt how to hold their beer at the Tuns.

In 1978, Olga famously took part in one of the BBC’s most popular TV programmes, Mastermind, specialising in Ghengis Khan. A young local resident Taffy Sharpe, spent ages before the recording trying to improve her knowledge of sport in anticipation of the general knowledge round. (Olga knew next to nothing about most sports.) Taffy made Olga memorise dozens of sports facts, including the winner of that year’s FA Cup. Needless to say, when that question came up, Olga’s mind went blank and she could only think of Taffy’s own team Liverpool. Wrong team! Despite this letdown, Olga won her round and went on to do another, narrowly failing to go further. For the rest of her life, Olga continued to participate in quizzes, mostly in pubs in and around Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire but also higher profile events like the TV quiz, 15-1.

Olga could be ruthless in her pursuit of quiz victories, carefully selecting people for inclusion in (or exclusion from) her teams according to their ability to answer questions on subjects where her own knowledge was relatively weak. On one occasion in the late 1980s when Olga was trying to strengthen her regular team, she was mightily impressed by the brainpower of a chap called Naden, who played for a pub in Middleton Cheney. Looking up Naden in the telephone directory, she called him and invited him to join her team. She was mortified to find on the night of his big debut, however, that she’d got the wrong Naden!

Olga’s quiz teams enjoyed a few successes, notably beating a side led by a Brain of Britain winner to take the Oxford Mail Trophy, and twice winning the Northamptonshire County Villages competition. After she and Ray had to let the Tuns go, Olga became involved in local politics, working tirelessly on the Parish Council and helping to get the Kings Sutton Times out every month. “When you’ve run a village pub,” she said, “you know better than anybody what issues the community is most concerned about.”

Olga died on October 28, 2009 at the Horton Hospital in Banbury after suffering a massive stroke.

Olga Kevelos could light up a room with the gleam in her eye, and leave people in convulsions of laughter with her mischievous sense of humour. She was a woman of firm convictions but never allowed seriousness to interfere with her sense of fun. She was open about what was by any standards a remarkable life but never boastful. It’s no exaggeration to describe her as a legend in her own lifetime and her death leaves King’s Sutton a sadder and poorer place.

This article is based on the eulogy for Olga Kevelos written by David Bridson and delivered by him at her funeral in November 2009.

Further reading

Olga Kevelos’s obituary in The Times

Olga Kevelos’s Daily Telegraph obituary

Olga Kevelos’s Independent obituary

Biography of Olga Kevelos by Scots author and motorcycle enthusiast Colin Turbett

Profile of Olga Kevelos by Tim Coghlan for Canals & Rivers magazine: Part 1 and Part 2.

Barbour’s tribute to local hero Olga Kevelos

Audiovisual records

British Pathé film of one of Olga’s races on four wheels, in which she led all the way until the final few seconds, when she was pipped to the post by another driver after being signalled to slow down by her team in case her engine blew up! .


The Thorne brothers of King’s Sutton at war

Frederick Thorne (seated centre) with his comrades in arms in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
Frederick Thorne (seated centre) with his comrades in arms in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

In her 2016 book The King’s Sutton War Memorials – The Story of Those who Served, village resident Margaret Burne recounts the results of research she began as part of the First World War centenary commemorations in 2014. Margaret’s book provides a fascinating glimpse into King’s Sutton life over a century ago, but her interest in the period was never simply academic. Her three great uncles – brothers William, Frederick and Richard Thorne – all of them born in the village, saw military service during the Great War. Only one of the three survived.

Margaret’s great, great uncle William Thorne and his wife Ellen of Wales Street, King’s Sutton had four children. Their first-born, William, arrived on July 18, 1881. His sister Jane followed the year after. Frederick and Richard were born on July 26, 1887 and June 28, 1889 respectively. The children’s father William worked as a plate layer for the Great Western Railway. He was tragically killed by an express train in December 1910 while working near Twyford Mill (now Cherwell Valley Silos) when the children were all in the twenties.

The 1911 national census records brothers William and Frederick continuing to at 19 Wales Street, King’s Sutton with their mother Ellen, sister Jane (aged 29) and niece Miriam (Margaret Burnes’s mother, then aged eight). Their younger brother, Richard, was working at that time as a labourer and lodging with Albert George Stevens and family at Twyford, near Buckingham. When war came, all three sons joined up to serve king and country.

William Thorne photographed towards the end of World War I in his sergeant’s stripes
William Thorne photographed towards the end of World War I in his sergeant’s stripes

William Thorne re-enlisted in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry on November 23, 1914 (Army number: 81006), having previously served with the regigment for seven years. During the war he joined 136 Labour Corps, going to France in 1917. He had a number of promotions and transfers: promoted to Lance Corporal (October 13, 1915); promoted to Lance Sergeant when he was transferred to the Observer Corps (April 1, 1916); transferred to the Royal West Surrey Regiment (March 10, 1917); transferred to 29 Labour Corps (May 14, 1917); and promoted to Sergeant (May 18, 1917).

William was admitted to the Third Southern General Hospital, Oxford on December 17, 1918 with influenza, discharged and month later, and demobilised on February 24, 1919. Army records indicate that he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal. William’s marriage to Margaret Pargeter was registered at Brackley in April-June 1915. Harry Jennings and Nellie Gurney were witnesses at the couple’s wedding and William was a witness at theirs.


The Village School

The new council school opened in 1909
The new council school opened in 1909

Early Schools

It is probable that the earliest schooling carried out in the village was at the Church by the then Parish Clerk, the Parish Clerk in those days, being very much an ecclesiastic appointment. Also it was quite common for well- educated ladies to form a small class. Sometimes this was frowned upon, in fact it is recorded that certain ladies of the village were taken before the Manorial Court, accused of teaching children without the permission of the Court, whose duty it was ( amongst other things) to grant teaching licences.

This was the only form of education available and even this could not be afforded by the working class parents of the village. Girls of the village were taught lace making at the Lace School in the middle 1800s, much to the consternation of the village school, because girls would quite often forego conventional schooling in order to learn lace making. The school was in Astrop Road above two buildings, one now known as the Lace House and the other Astrop Post Office and Stores.

It was not until 1842 that the Government introduced an Act which was instrumental in the building of a school in the village. This was called the National or Church School and was erected at a cost of £644.4s.4d. on land given by William Willes of Astrop House, to the Vicar and Church Wardens. It was built in 1847 at a point which at that time was between King’s Sutton and Astrop called ‘tween towns’, opposite the present recreation ground. It was a school supported by Subscription, Government Grant and School Pence, this latter being a weekly amount paid by the children’s parents, which in 1880 amounted to 3d. per week.



The original conveyance for the construction of the school was worded as follows: ”For educating the children of the labouring, manufacturing and other poorer classes in the parish of King’s Sutton”. The building had two floors, the upper having two balconies and was approached by a winding staircase. The girls were taught upstairs and the boys downstairs. Even at playtime the boys and girls were separated by an iron railing in the playground. It was not until 1899 that the children were taught in mixed classes and were still segregated at playtime.

On June 21st 1902 it was reported that ”Henry E Close, Mrs Close, Kate Close and Mr Pamphlet all ceased to teach in this school”. So, after being very much a school run by one family, Mr Albert Henry Tilbury took over as Headmaster. The reports show that the children were well taught in difficult circumstances. In 1909 the National School was closed and used as a Church hall, being restored in 1923 to make a large hall with a permanent stage. It was finally closed in 1964 and eventually sold to become a private residence, now known as The Old School House.

The County Council School

The County Council school in Richmond Street, built in 1908, was opened on June 7th 1909 with Mr A.H. Tilbury as Headmaster, Choirmaster and Organist. In those days infants went to school at the age of 3 or 4 years. It was agreed in 1931 that children could have a midday meal at school using one of the classrooms. A gas stove, chairs, tables and crockery were provided, the children themselves heating up food that they brought from home. In June 1933 it was proposed that electricity be installed, in July the Northern Electric Power Company gave an estimate and it was duly installed. Since that time the school has had very little done to it, until 1974 when a new hall, kitchen and other administrative rooms were added.

Handicrafts

Gardening and handicrafts became important parts of the curriculum, the sales book for 1913 records that Mr Tilbury bought 4 Ibs. peas for 6d, 7 Ibs. beans for 3d. and 1 basket of carrots for I shilling. The handicrafts were often sold to parents and Mrs Bevis, Turvey, Ward, Harris & Taylor all paid 6d for the pinafores which the children had made.

School Attendance

In looking through the school records it appears that illness played havoc with school attendance. There were deaths from scarlet and typhus fever, measles, smallpox, diphtheria, whooping cough and other illnesses such as bronchitis, mumps and chicken pox. These frequently reduced the average attendance of 200 to only 60 or so being fit enough to come to school. Happier reasons for having time off were: Ascension Day; Methodist and Baptist Church Sunday School outings; Haymaking; Allotment planting; Potato dropping and Bird scaring (or minding).

Girls’ School

1870

Jan 31 School closed on account of fever in parish, Scarlet and Typhus Fever.
Mar 25 81 girls in school.
Apr 4 Girl from Lace School – pays half price (half timer).
July 25 Many children absent – Chapel tea drinking.

1871

Feb 23 Girls not attending – pay double fees.
Mar 17 New school room.
Jun 15 Haymaking – attendance down.
Oct 6 Lace school “a great drawback”.

1872

Jan 7 Short attendance:

1873

Mar 2 Teachers for girls, 94 girls.

1875

Oct 8 Penny Bank started.

1876

Apr 24 102 girls, 2 teachers.
Oct 9-30 Scarlet Fever – 4 dead.
Dec School closed – Fever

1877

Oct Several children returned after some months

1881

May 26 Sir and Lady Brown prizes to day and Sunday school
May/June Mistress absent, school run by pupil teachers and monitors.
July 18 Sutton Feast

1884

Mar Average attendance 64 girls, 42 infants

1885

Jan School closed – Measles and Bronchitis, school re-opened – 2 children dead.

1886

Apr Grant for pupil teacher up from £2.00 to £3.00.
May Day School at Astrop Park – Number 167.

1887

Jan 20-24 Jubilee Week
Sept School re-opened, many of older girls have left for service.

1888

Jan 26 Lady Brown tea – for Mr Melville’s coming of age – eldest son.
May 28 Girl re-admitted after St. Vitus dance.

1889

Mar Head mistress – Elizabeth M. Good; Ass. mistress – Nellie E. Good; Ass. mistress – Edith Good.
Apr 19 Exception schedule – 1 girl for poor sight and one for being “exceptionally dull”.
Aug 5 Mr. Cartwrights daughter in London married, tea for local schools.
Nov 22 Death from measles.

1890

Jan Death of Nellie E. Good, Ass. Mistress and daughter of headmistress. Bad school report.

Boys’ School

1868

Apr 9 Attendance short, temporary employment gardening or bird minding.
July Boys leave or absent for haymaking.

1869

Jul 15 “Feast Lay” “Temperance Fete”.
Aug 5 Tea for village schools. Mr Cartwright’s daughter married in London

1891

Feb Complaint against Ass. Master – re corporal punishment.
Jun 1 £2.10.0d spent on purchase of necessary drawing materials.
Aug. 21 Mr. Howe’s duties ceased.
Sep. 28 New Ass. Master, Mr. Colburn – Cheltenham trained.
Oct. 16 20 fresh names on books of “Penny Bank”.
Oct 19 Heavy floods blocked roads into village, 40 children prevented from attending.

1892

Sep. Boys away due to potato picking and wheat thrashing.
Oct. 10 Attendance still low – Banbury Fair and a sale in the parish.

1893

Feb Managers meeting to sign Govt. returns – present were: The Vicar, Sir W. R. Brown, Bart., M.A. Willes, esq., C. Marsby Zee – Auditor
Mar Boys away for alottment planting and bird minding.
Dec. 4 Lady Brown gave 12 copies of “Wedding Bells” to boys.
Feb. 20 Mumps epidemic – school closed.
Annual “Church Workers and Choir” outing, 2 boys drowned.
Aug. Vicar came on last day before harvest holiday to stress importance of a prompt return after holidays.
Sep. First day back, Vicar came – fair attendance!!

1895

Mar. Adverse annual report, schooling and accommodation.
Jul. 22 Spoke to boys about Horton Infirmary and held collection for same.
Aug. Mr. Colborn, Ass. Master ended his duties.
Sep. Mr. Pamphlett commenced duties as Ass. Master.
Sep 20 Removal of infants. Very hot.
Dec. 6 Order for necessary repairs (building and premises) given by the vicar.

1896

Feb. Cloak rooms in course of erection.
Jul. Two boys and their employers warned. Two “warned” boys returned to school.
Jul. 31 Amount in collection box for Horton infirmary: 13s 11d.
Sep. 7 New cloak rooms inspected.
Oct. Lady Brown and Miss Alice Brown visit school.
Oct. 30 3 boys names given in labour certificate – pass examination
Nov. Funeral of Mrs. Willes – Lady of the Manor and School Manager for many years.

1897

May Diamond Jubilee Fete given to all inhabitants of Astrop and Kings Sutton.
Mar. Govt. Grant. Principle Grant £14.0.0.
Discipline and Organisation £1.6.0
Singing by note £1.0.0
Geography £1.0.0
English and History £2.0.0
Total £19 6s
58 average attendance boys.

1898

Mar. 23 Supplementary grant of £9.00 for effecting repairs and providing apparatus.
Staff of Boys School should at once be strengthened.
Sep. New headmaster Henry Edmunds Close

In 1925 the school closed for the memorial service for Queen Alexandra. We also find from these same records: weather too hot and sometimes too cold, one time the ink froze solid in the inkwells. Even Banbury Fair took its toll, so much so, that eventually the children were given two days holiday at Fair time.

The 1930s

Mr Harold E. Easey, BSc commenced duty as Headmaster on July 1, 1931 and the first awards to the school houses, Watt, Scott and Faraday were recorded. In 1933 three woodwork benches arrived and a woodwork scheme was introduced for the three upper classes. September 1939 saw ll8 children arrive from Cosway Street School in London, evacuated as a war emergency measure.

Changes in Education in 1958

In the new term starting September 1958 the school log book records 250 pupils, this dropped to 237 a year later when, due to education policy, it became necessary for all children over the age of 13 to attend the Brackley Modem School travelling the six miles by school bus; 1960 saw all those from age II now attending the Brackley School. By September 1982 all children from age four were able to attend the village school.

The School in 1993

There are 140 children on the school roll ages from 4 to 11, split into five classes as follows:

  • Miss K. Smith Class 1 Juniors
  • Mrs D. Skinner Class 2 Juniors
  • Miss S. Suter Class 3 Juniors/Infants mixed
  • Mrs V. Phipps Class 4 Infants
  • Mrs S. Wise Reception Class (age four plus)

There is also a special needs teacher and two ancillary assistants, backed up by a school secretary, two caretakers and three lunchtime supervisors. As with all other Primary Schools, the school follows the National Curriculum, which involves the study of:

Core Subjects: English, Mathematics, Science.

Foundation Subjects: Design Technology, Geography, History, Music, Art and Physical Education.

Religious Education is a statutory element of the curriculum.

Assembly is taken each day and a family assembly is held on every alternate Friday when all the parents and families of the children are invited to attend. The Vicar and the Baptist Minister regularly visit the school to take assembly. There is a good deal of contact between the village Playgroup and the School, particularly now that the Playgroup is housed within the school grounds.

Schools have always had a managing body but in 1974 new government policies came into force, the log book entry reads:

“The Managing Body has had to be doubled in number from six to twelve in the holy name of democracy. 100% increase in size will no doubt make decision taking more difficult.”

In 1980 School Managers were to be known as Governors and in 1987 new government policies enforced them to hold Annual General Meetings with parents. The school managers were: Mr. R. J. Amos (Headmaster), Mrs. S. Wise (Teacher Representative), Mr. C. Wheatcroft (Local Education Representative), Mrs. A. Fletcher (Local Education Representative), Mrs S. Marriott (Local Education Representative), Mr. J. Childs (Parent Governor), Mr. M. Wyatt (Parent Governor), Mrs. R. Bridson (Parent Governor), Rev. S. Willis (Community Governor), Mrs. A. Higgins (Community Governor), Mr. A. Atkins (Community Governor), Mrs. K. Wyatt (Clerk to the Governors)

In April 1993 the school was delegated being responsible for its own finances and budget.

Headteachers

Girls’ School

1847-1866 Anna Maria Jenson
1866-1898 Elizabeth M Good
1898-1899 Mrs Henry E Close

Boys’ School

1847-1866 John Jenson
1866-1898 Edwin Good
1898-1899 Henry E Close

Mixed Girls and Boys

1899-1902 Henry E Close
1902-1931 Albert H Tilbury
1900 1931-1958 Harold E Easey
1958-1978 John Rippin
1978-1988 Mervyn Wood
1988-Roger J Amos